Last Reviewed: 01/08/2021
Next Review : 01/08/2022
Poppy Design Studio Limited recognises that we have a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to continually reducing our environmental impact and improving our environmental performance as a key part of our business strategy and method of operation, with regular reviews within the company. We will encourage our customers, suppliers and other interested parties to do the same.
Marie Baker is responsible for ensuring that the environmental policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We endeavour to:
- Continually improve and monitor our environmental performance.
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
- We will encourage all employees to minimise the use of paper in the office.
- We will encourage all employees to “Think Before Print”
- We will reduce packaging as much as possible.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
- We will source print through responsible procurement.
- We will invest in the procurement of essentials we need to business with environmental responsibilities firmly in mind.
- We will ensure our supply chain source sustainable materials and work closely with our suppliers to ensure they use recycled materials where possible.
- We will ensure all print suppliers are certified by the Forestry Stewardship Council.
- We will ensure our print suppliers use vegetable-based inks as an alternative to petroleum-based products where possible.
- We will use DPD as a courier who are able to offer carbon-neutral delivery within the UK.
- We will ensure our suppliers power their factories and offices as efficiently as possible and with the minimum impact on the environment.
- We will ensure website hosting is run on 100% renewable electricity from sources like the sun, wind and sea.
- We will ensure our hosting uses Ecotricity for power, bringing true 100% renewable energy.
- We will ensure all power consumed at our datacentre facility uses 100% renewable energy and have achieved a PUE rating of 1.12.
- We will ensure our hosting supplier works with Trees For Life and Ecologi to plant trees in the Scottish Highlands.
- We will ensure our hosting supplier goes beyond everyday business operations, they offer a staff incentive scheme to help them make the switch to 100% renewable energy at home.
Energy and water
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- We will ensure lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- We will ensure heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- We will ensure the energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will evaluate if the need can be met in another way.
- We will evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We will favour more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- We will reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
- We will reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
- We will favour ‘green’ vehicles and maintain them rigorously to ensure ongoing efficiency.
Maintenance and cleaning
- We will ensure cleaning materials used will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- We will ensure materials used in office refurbishment will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- We will only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
Monitoring and improvement
- We will comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- We will continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- We will continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- We will incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- We will increase employee awareness through training.
- We will review this policy and any related business issues at our monthly management meetings.
- We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
Our support to the environment
- We will lead regular campaigns for small businesses to cut their digital footprint.
- We will lead other businesses to encourage support of the Government’s environment guidance where possible.
- We will participate and lead local environment campaigns to encourage local people to keep our community clean.
- We are Good Business Charter certified where we are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving their environmental performance.